TechnologyOur technology revolutionizes the way products are built.
Unique solution with well-known technologies
TactoTek patented and patent-pending technologies integrate a mixture of well-known production technologies into a very unique solution that enables mass production of 3D structural electronics. The production technologies we use include flexible circuit printing, surface mounting electronic components, thermoforming, in-mold labeling and injection molding.
TactoTek starts with in-mold labeling (IML) material. Decoration, if desired, is printed, followed by conductive circuitry, and in some designs, printed touch controls and printed antennas. Electronic components are mounted using standard high speed pick-and-place machinery. Electronics can be as simple as LEDs or as complex as microprocessors and are affixed to the IML using specialized adhesives able to withstand the temperature and pressure associated with injection molding.
With electronics in place, the IML carrier is used as an insert for injection molding. Typical molding materials include high pressure, high temperature plastics such as polycarbonate (PC), acrylic (PMMA), acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), and for flexible designs, thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU).
TactoTek Electronic Building Blocks
These are some of the building blocks that can be in-mold into structural electronics:
- Circuitry—printed flexible circuitry and wiring harness
- Lighting—single/multi-color indicators, ambient lighting, logo/branding, animated lighting
- Controls—printed capacitive touch controls molded into plastic surfaces for 1D, 2D and 3D controls
- Sensors—ambient light, impact, stress, proximity, accelerometer
- Antennas—NFC, Bluetooth/WLAN antenna
- Integrated Circuits—MCU, BLE